Saturday 7 December 2013

2013 review of my first year in ultra running.

Well I have come to the end of my first year of ultra running , so here is my review .

In short probably did one to many.

Should have rested more.

Got to sort Nutrition out !!!!

Starting with the Thames Path 100 my first 100 miler ,although tough because of the weather i loved every minute of it even when the Achilles put paid to a good time and to get under 24 hours was the icing on the cake. 23:19 hours

10 weeks later after being told I would never make the start line of the South Downs Way 100 by my doctor I smashed my 100 mile time to finish in 22 hours .

Ridgeway 87 was next in August and a lovely race but suffered with sickness for the last 25 miles but still made it in 20:25 and second over 50.

Next up was the Cotswold Way 102 but I had big plans to run home to poole from Bath after, but it went terribly wrong after throwing up for 35 miles getting lost a few times in the fog as well I had to retire at the 65 mile checkpoint, looking back I was not 100 per cent and I know from past experience what the CW is like so maybe I should have DNS it. I will return to finish what I started though.

Finally the race of the year. The James Adams and James Elson Race...  The Piece of String (fun run) and what a race to end my year on. After having been on crutches for 3 weeks I really thought I would not even make the start but 2 weeks before I took a chance and gradually got back out running (physio told me no running until xmas at least ) I really do think ultra runners heal quicker than expected. The race itself was not measured in distance or time it was just to see if anyone would find the end and 2 fine runners did, but it was a fantastic experience and one which I would love to attempt again . In the end for me it was roughly 110 miles and about 26 hours.

Well I have a had a fantastic time this year and but for niggling injuries I might have done a little better.  I really have no doubt that I love the ultra distances and I am going to extend the distances I run until I cant do it anymore after all everyone keeps telling me I am to old .

So this is for the doubters !!!!!Roll on next year !!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment