Thursday 23 October 2014

injuries and illness.

I actually forgot this but before Endure 24  I had entered the Spine race and work was busy so thought I would make the most of the running downtime by working a lot of hours to be able to buy the kit for the spine and T184 which was my next race.
Well it sort of backfired on me and I ended up in hospital for a day .Had really bad chest pains after getting home from work at gone midnight, the mrs thought I was having a heart attack but I just thought had pulled some muscles so said I would see how I was in the morning. Well I just paced the bloody house all night in agony then woke her to tell her I thought I should go to hospital. Once in A&E I was rushed straight in to a ward where I was hooked up to everything , by now the pain was really bad so it was morphine time and more tests then more morphine. After being there all day the doc told me I had Pericarditus (inflammation of the heart lining) which I think is no big thing , just had to take tablets for a month. So gets home pain returns after morphine has worn off  another night with no sleep. 8am in the morning the hospital calls and tells me to come straight back down, something to do with my chest x-ray. Turns out I had a massive chest infection which must have caused the pericarditis, so that was that 2 friggin weeks off work .That is why I wasn,t supposed to be running the endure race .






A few weeks after Kate suggested a training run along the 87 mile Ridgeway in preparation for the T184 and as I felt ok said yes. So I picked her and Avo (her collie) up and headed up to Nichola Newton,s house at Calne where she kindly offered to let me park and drop us off at the start. So Friday night we headed off along the Ridgeway and after having done the race a couple of times although in the opposite direction was quite confident with the navigation (oh how wrong was I).
Within minutes of running up the first hill I knew I was not fully recovered from the chest infection and was feeling tight chested and dizzy, we stopped at the top and Kate asked if I was ok just to walk , I said yes so she suggested we turn it into a walking adventure as we had our bags kitted out for the T184 race . We walked until about 2am and were a little lost so decided to pitch up for the night before the rain got heavier and were lucky we did as it poured down for the rest of the night. We set off again in the morning and the weather was so much better. We found the trail again and soon found a garage where we could stock up with food and drink Avo decided to go behind the counter where they were cooking food ,the staff were not amused but me and Kate thought it was so funny.
we crossed a main road  and I thought we should go straight on but I let Kate talk me into turning right , and yes we went the wrong way. We walked for ages before we spotted  some people coming the other way and asked if we were still on the Ridgeway ,which we were, but we were going the wrong way as in heading back to the start !!!!!!!! So back on track and walking the right way we eventually got to streatly where we were just to shattered to pitch up again so got a B&B for the night ha ha . In the morning we caught the wrong train to some bloody where and had to go back to some bloody where to get to some bloody where else . But we made it and the lovely Nichola Newton picked us up and returned us safe and sound back to her house and a lovely coffee and a laugh at just how inept we are at navigation. Although it wasn't the run we planned it was a good fun weekend on my part ,I think and hope Kate enjoyed it .

No comments:

Post a Comment